Life is full of options and choices. The choices we make shape our future. As we stand at the cross roads after high school we must have the right vision to make the decision to go to college.
1. A college education secures our future. The number of employment opportunities is greater and statistics reveal that most leaders are college grads.
2. If you have a college education you will make more money which in turn will enable you to have a better lifestyle. If a high school graduate earns US$ 34,303 annually, a college graduate will earn US$ 56,334, and a person with a professional qualification will net at least US$ 99,411.
3. It is not just earnings. A college education makes you a rounded person. It shapes your communication skills, expands your knowledge base, makes you methodical and organized, and exposes you to a whole new world of learning.
4. People with a college education have better value systems and are healthier. They are able to guide their family positively.
5. College can help you qualify in fields you are interested in. So if you are an innovator, inventor, or healer, or artist you can train in the specific field and qualify.
6. According to experts, college graduates are self confident, have greater knowledge of governance, are less likely to become criminals, are emotionally and financially secure, make better partners and parents, and have a deeper understanding of human nature.
7. College instills a deep sense of right and wrong and is they very essence of a democratic world.
8. Education opens the doors to many things like multiple jobs, career choices, the chance to further education at any point in life, and the option of teaching others what you have learnt. Be it a child, family member, or a poor person you meet.
9. College education is an investment in you that yields much more than Wall Street investments.
10. College educated citizens will ensure the continuing success of the “American Dream.” The ability to see the right path and work for peace and prosperity.
Students according to Jose Marti a patriot are the very ramparts of a nation and the strongest advocates of freedom. Education creates a conscience and as a result a better human being. College education eventually becomes a legacy for future generations. Most succeeding generations of college educated people go to college themselves. The value of a good education becomes ingrained in their genes. Huge stones can be moved with muscle power but it is brain power that tells you how to move it and what can be done with it.
3 Common Types Of College Scholarship Grants
For there are several college students that need some help in order to continue their studies, there are college scholarship grants given to those who are in need or with special talent on a certain field.
There are 3 common types of scholarships grants awarded to college students and soon-to-be college students: athletic scholarship grant, academic scholarship grant, and departmental awards. Each has its criteria to consider before awarding the grant. Each also has a particular group of student to target.
Academic Scholarship Grant
This type of scholarship grant is awarded to students who achieve a qualified GPA or has achieved an exceptional academic performance before entering college. This grant is usually awarded to students who have received honors. It is sometimes awarded automatically upon entering college or university but most schools require application for academic scholarship grants.
Basically, the primary focus of schools giving academic scholarship is of course the academic aspect; however, some colleges and universities base the grant on either merit or need, or both.
Upon passing an academic scholarship grant, the student is required to maintain a ceiling grade. If not achieved after the end of the term, colleges and universities usually put the student on probationary status until the grades reached the prescribed level. If not achieved however, the academic scholarship grand may be terminated.
Athletic Scholarship Grant
If you are on the competitive edge, you get an athletic scholarship grant. However, this is highly sought after type of scholarship and there are many students applying for this.
An athlete of course wants to go through college for free using this type of scholarship. Some even dream to finish college as an athlete. And this dream is not far from the realizing. With good personal marketing and exceptional skill in any sport, you will be able to apply and be granted with this type of scholarship.
This type of scholarship grant aims to provide the student with the option to stay or take up his or her studies on a particular department. Usually, it is offered to exceptional students with desire to take other fields. The departmental awards are given so as not to keep the students in the department. Or, it is given to attract interested students to take study at a particular department.
You can inquire about this type of scholarship directly on the department of the school.
There are other college scholarship grants that are given to students but basically, these three are the ones given by the schools themselves.